Courses For Children
I provide training and courses for children, to develop young leaders and peer support. Through 'Buddy' training, schools can encourage higher self-esteems and personal development.
“Buddying” & Peer Support for Primary School Children:
School based training programme and courses for children and staff.
Evidence shows that peer group support schemes have a positive influence on the emotional climate of the whole school. This can contribute to a reduction in bullying and a happy playground experience. Children and young people in distress often turn first to a peer for help. “Buddies” can initiate play, befriend isolated pupils, and help their peers to resolve difficulties. To successfully sustain such a scheme, children need specialised training and on-going support from the school.
To assist schools with setting up a "buddying" scheme.
To train selected children in:
- The role of "the buddy"
- Ways of befriending, and initiating play with children in the playground
- Ways to listen, to support peers and to mediate when appropriate
By the end of this training, participants will have attained:
- Increased self-esteem and personal development
- A deeper understanding of the role of peer support
- Active listening skills
- A range of strategies to befriend and support peers in every day interactions
- Skills to help peers play
- A clear understanding of when to involve an adult
The Training Package
Preparation: including a telephone discussion or meeting with the Headteacher/SENCO focusing on developing and managing a peer support system. The specific needs of your school will be addressed.
Delivery: Two one-hour group training sessions with the selected children and the SENCO focusing on the above objectives.